Monday, September 29, 2008

12 Step Program for a Crisis

This is a copy of a letter I sent to a loved one almost 20 years ago. I thought it might help someone today with our current national crisis:

By the time you get this you will probably already made some decision about the business. I really don't know what to do anyway so my opinion isn't worth the time to read. What I do know and what is worth the time to read is found in Psalms. I do believe God speaks and will show you the way. If you mess up, it's ok, He will take care of that too. I also know that most of the things you are afraid of will never happen. What I want to share with you is a very rough outline of my new book SHATTERED DREAMS AND BROKEN PROMICES?...DAVID'S CURE FOR DISTRESS. This is what helped me when I thought I was going to die (and afraid I wouldn't) when we had so much trouble. David teaches us how to keep going and find victory in faith. As I said this is a rough outline so you'll have to do the work yourself. Follow this order and do like David did and you will find what you really are looking for and need. (let me tell you up front your biggest need is not what to do with the finances, it is learning how to lean totally upon the Lord. It you learn that, no other problems will matter.

1st offer a SACRIFICE OF PRAISE.
PSA 69:29 I am in pain and distress; may your salvation, O God, protect me. PSA 69:30 I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.
In Psalms 70 David says Praise is important to rememberwho God is.
In ch.71 David recounts past deliverance and expects there will be a future for him. God has always seen you through before, and he will this time.

2nd offer a SACRIFICE OF FAITH (this should really be first).
Where do you look when trouble comes. Where do you put your eyes?
PSA 4:4 In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Selah PSA 4:5 Offer right sacrifices and trust in the LORD.

3rd allow yourself HOPE.
3:1 O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! 2 Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." Selah 3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. 4 To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah 5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. 6 I will not fear the tens of thousands (of Dollars) drawn up against me on every side. 7 Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. 8 From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. Selah

4th COMMIT YOURSELF TO ACTION
The action is found in ch. 56-57 David was running from Saul and knew he did not need to fear mand (55) and hid beneath the wings of God, ie. Let him protect you reputation, pride, finances etc.

5th place your CONFIDENCE AND TRUST IN THE LORD
12:6 And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times. 7 O LORD, you will keep us safe and protect us from such people forever.
13:5 But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me. Actually others had bad days too: see ch.69
Actually what is the other choice? You eithe trust God or trust yourself....no contest!
13 I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

6th REMEMBER PAST SALVATION
71:15 My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure. He never failed before.

7th. EXPECT VINDICATION
Psa. 26:1 Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the LORD without wavering. 2 Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind;

8th WAIT PATIENTLY
27:14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD. This is an active choice of your will.
ch.62 Stand silently waiting for the lord.
121:1 I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot slip--he who watches over you will not slumber; 4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The LORD watches over you--the LORD is your shade at your right hand; 6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The LORD will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life; 8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
How long do you wait? ch. 122:2 As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, till he shows us his mercy.
What do you do while you are waiting? Ch. 55 16 But I call to God, and the LORD saves me. 17 Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. (keep it up until you get an answer.)

9th BELIEVE GOD WILL RESCUE YOU
Read Ch 55

10th STAY FOCUSED ON THE WORD
ch 119 Read.
ch 43:3 Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell.

11th STAY DEPENDENT ONLY ON GOD
ch. 7171:1 In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. 2 Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me.
There are lots of rescue verses. The main point is God never failed.

12th PLEA FOR HELP
Psa 63:16 Turn to me and have mercy on me; grant your strength to your servant and save the son of your maidservant. 17 Give me a sign of your goodness, that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, for you, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me.

LAST: IF YOU MUST GRIPE AND COMPLAIN BECAUSE OF THE PAIN...
Do not sin against the Lord with your lips. See Noah and Abraham
Proper complaint is taken directly, respectfully, and honestly to God.
39:1 I said, "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence." Don't dishonor Him before the weak and unbelievers. It is ok to cry out to God, he did too. 22:1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? Just be careful how and when you do it.

REMEMBER; THE REAL AND LASTING CURE FOR DISTRESS IS TRUST

One final thought: If the Lord were going to destroy you...124:1 If the LORD had not been on our side--let Israel say-- 2 if the LORD had not been on our side when men attacked us, 3 when their anger flared against us, they would have swallowed us alive; 4 the flood would have engulfed us, the torrent would have swept over us, 5 the raging waters would have swept us away. 6 Praise be to the LORD, who has not let us be torn by their teeth. 7 We have escaped like a bird out of the fowler's snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped. 8 Our help is in the name of the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. (ie. You'd be dead already)

Well that's it in a nutshell...I know it will help if you will let it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm printing this out RIGHT NOW so that i can have it to study during my quiet time. thank you.
heidi jo

Doni Brinkman said...

Definitely print worthy. Needs to be hung on the fridge!

Doni Brinkman said...

Why haven't you published that book?

Don Z said...

I did Publish it in the Prayer Warriors Guide along with 40 other subjects. I didn't write an entire book on it becasue I coujld not improve on what the Holy Spirit wrote in the first place. The link to it is next to it is on the blog dashboard at immanuelmission.com

Laurie said...

Of course this is again exactly what I needed for today...ok and tomorrow and the rest of this week...