Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Need a little Thanksgiving help?


I am feeling a little guilty about telling you ladies thank you for all your holiday work without really committing to doing anything really significant…and since I know Dee will read this I will not commit to anything in writing here. She has already informed me that I will have to help with the turkey. It is to heavy for her. I’m ok with that. I am actually cooking myself today. I am preparing to smoke some of the salmon I caught last week to share at a party tomorrow. I did a test batch and it was really beautiful and tasted great. So I guess I’m on the “hook” for smoked salmon, turkey and toting whatever needs to be toted. I feel a little better even though I know it is very little help, but I can only give a little part of me anyway. Only God can give all of Himself. As a matter of fact, I can give you a little help, but with God it is all or nothing! To paraphrase Andrew Murray in his book Absolute Surrender, whenever I seek the assistance of God on any matter, it is all or nothing with Him. There is no way to split omnipotence. You cannot have a fraction of his power, love or any other part of his nature without having it all. It is all or nothing. God does not loan or share his power with me. As I walk in unity and fellowship with Him, HE does it, providing the power form his omnipotence. Paul picks up on this in Philippians 4:13, I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Since He indwells us He can do it through us. It may be our body, but that too is in him. It works something like this. Tomorrow morning Dee is going to ask me to “Help” her put the turkey in the oven and then take it out again. That is not a job we can share without getting burned! I will “help” by doing it myself, as if I were to step into her physical frame and give her my physical strength. I will do what she cannot do. Get it? When you are walking in fellowship with God, EVERTHING He can do, you can do as HE does it through you.

Hey another opportunity to rid myself of guilt…As she was walking out the doorto go shopping, Dee called out that my clothes were ready to put into the dryer. I also washed them. 2 points! (Ok they were the fishing clothes from last week that HAD to be washed, but I still did it). I’m feeling guilty again. They will be dry before she gets home and I don’t want to fold them and put them away. If I don’t hear the dryer shut off maybe I can honestly forget and not have to do it. Yes, I can shut off the alarm, close the three doors between me and the dryer….that just might work. Did I say that out loud?

1 comment:

Doni Brinkman said...

Funny Dad. I don't think Jim has EVER actually put the clothes away either. Is this another instance where we are supposed to brownie point you for the effort hee hee? Love the all or nothing - have to think more on that. Also...love that you are including pictures on your blog. :)