Friday, August 8, 2008

My Utmost Aug 8

This is from MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST, By Oswald Chambers. I am struggling with a part of it which I will share about later. I would like to hear your thoughts on it first. I may be really wrong and need to grow up. Thanks for your help.

Prayer in the Father’s Honor
“… that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God” (
Luke 1:35).
If the Son of God has been born into my human flesh, then am I allowing His holy innocence, simplicity, and oneness with the Father the opportunity to exhibit itself in me? What was true of the Virgin Mary in the history of the Son of God’s birth on earth is true of every saint. God’s Son is born into me through the direct act of God; then I as His child must exercise the right of a child—the right of always being face to face with my Father through prayer. Do I find myself continually saying in amazement to the commonsense part of my life, “Why did you want me to turn here or to go over there? ‘Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?’ ” (
Luke 2:49). Whatever our circumstances may be, that holy, innocent, and eternal Child must be in contact with His Father.
Am I simple enough to identify myself with my Lord in this way? Is He having His wonderful way with me? Is God’s will being fulfilled in that His Son has been formed in me (see
Galatians 4:19), or have I carefully pushed Him to one side? Oh, the noisy outcry of today! Why does everyone seem to be crying out so loudly? People today are crying out for the Son of God to be put to death. There is no room here for God’s Son right now—no room for quiet, holy fellowship and oneness with the Father.
Is the Son of God praying in me, bringing honor to the Father, or am I dictating my demands to Him? Is He ministering in me as He did in the time of His manhood here on earth? Is God’s Son in me going through His passion, suffering so that His own purposes might be fulfilled? The more a person knows of the inner life of God’s most mature saints, the more he sees what God’s purpose really is: to “… fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ …” (
Colossians 1:24). And when we think of what it takes to “fill up,” there is always something yet to be done.

2 comments:

Doni Brinkman said...

I am struggling with the whole last paragraph. Sometimes Oswald baffles me.

Shauna said...

OK - I have to read it several times to "get it". And I still don't "get" it all, but here is what it says to me. First, I like the analagy of Mary, mother of Jesus and all of us with Christ living in us. And I like the analogy of "if Christ is living in us, then we ARE God's child". I have often thought of myself as God's child because He created me, and I know that Christ lives in me, but I never really connected the 2 to think that because Christ lives in me, I am God's child - just like Jesus was God's child when He lived here on earth. And I like the question posed "Do I find myself continually saying to the commonsense part of my life, "Why do you want me to ... Do you not know that I must be about my Father's business"" I think for me personally my approach in life is usually praying for God to direct me, but to be honest it is usually me looking for where God wants me to go or what He wants me to do - more like a child knocking at a door saying please let me talk to you for a while, please tell me what you want me to do. Where I want it to be more like a child running at the feet of his Father doing everything the Father does. Although I talk to the Father often, I think it is more like a my will, His will kind of thing rather than a constant companionship where the two wills just naturally join together. I can really relate to the very last part "fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ" - I think any Christian would have to say there is always more we can do to allow Christ to be more of us and let a little bit more of "self" go. The one thing I am not sure of in this is the part about "People today are crying out for the son of God to be put to death. There is no room here for God's son right now." To me personally - I know that Christ died for my sins and the sins of the world. I know that the reason Christ had to die is because of my sins... but I also feel like Christ died once for all. He is not continually being crucified. And from a personal viewpoint - I don't think I push Christ away, saying there is no room for Him. I fail on a daily basis, and those failures/sins are part of the sins that Christ died for years ago. But even when I fail, I feel bad, knowing that Christ who lives in me and Loves me - doesn't want me to do those things. I guess I just didn't relate to the part about "there is no room here for Christ" In my life, I make mistakes, but I would never say there is "no room here for Christ"