Thursday, January 15, 2009

God-like or Godly?


As a child growing up I always thought of my grandfather as a godly man. He brought thousands to Christ during his jail and hospital ministry years. Books were written about him and his Soul Winner's Guide booklet has over 1.5 million copies in print in English plus a dozen other languages. He put the bar pretty high for his family to follow. For a moment this week I thought I might be getting a little closer. I was sitting in my some what cluttered office this week studying for next weeks sermon and Deanna entered my semi-private domain to announce that in her opinion I was "God-like". That sounded pretty good to the Reverend, Dr. Zimmermann....until she added "The Bible says the heavens can't contain God and this house can't contain you!" I'm thinking she had a point in there somewhere but I don't want to think about it right now. It did remind me of a familiar problem we all face. We all tend to want to be God like instead of Godly. You know, demanding worship, Self reliant, always right, etc. We all take on the prerogatives of God without the wisdom or power that is necessary to be God. I guess I should work on the godly part more often and the godlike less often. How you doing at the godly/godlike comparison?

No comments: